We look forward to your school's participation at this event. The competition is a lot of fun and your students will meet, share experiences, and compete with other students from various parts of New Jersey.
This is for the NJ Olympics South Jersey.
Date: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:00 am - ~1:30 pm
Registration/refreshments 8:00-9:00 am
Competition 9:00- ~ 1:00/1:30
Location: Washington Township HS, Sewell, NJ (Gloucester County)
Refreshments will be provided upon arrival (bagels, coffee, etc).
Students should bring their own lunches.
A team = 1-6 students; schools may bring >1 team.
This year's events are:
1. FERMI QUESTIONS: To estimate the order of magnitude of a quantity that is difficult or impossible to measure.
2. GRAB BAG: On the day of the Olympics, the team will be given supplies to build a device that solves a challenge.
3. NEWSPAPER BRIDGE: To design and build a bridge that will support the greatest weight per gram of material used to construct it.
4. THE PAPER BOOMERANG: To design and build a paper boomerang that returns the greatest distance.
5. HOOKED CARTESIAN DIVER : To design and build hooked cartesian divers that will retrieve different types of hooked sinkers in the least amount of time.
6. PRINGLES EVENT*: To design the smallest container that will enable two Pringles chips to be sent through the U.S. Mail without damage.
*Note: The deadline for the Pringles Event will be extended for South Jersey teams only. Please do not mail in the Pringles event item until a decision is made about whether we have enough teams to run the competition. The decision will be made in before/around Dec 16.
Detailed rules can be found on the website under the "Events / Physics Olympics 2020" section. To post questions, go to the "Forum" section of the website. You can subscribe to the Physics Olympics topic, to receive updates.
Media Release Form: Print, sign, and bring to competition. NJAAPT photographs the events and winners (no names or identification w/photos). To be in winning team photos, students must submit a signed form.
The cost is $30 per team for Early Bird registration (Dec 16 deadline).
After 12/16, the cost is $40/team. Final registration deadline: Jan 8, 2020.
Each team that you bring must be registered as a Guest -- do not forget to register your teams!! (2 teams = 2 guests; a team = 1-6 students).
Please do NOT bring extra unregistered students or teams on the day of the event! Each team is 6 students, max. We plan food/supplies for the number of teams/students registered, and we cannot accommodate on-site registrations. If you wish to register an additional team, you must contact the event coordinator in advance. Thank you.
Payment in advance required.
If using school invoice, please pay in advance, and a refund will be sent to you when your school check has been received.