We look forward to your school's participation at this event. The competition is a lot of fun and your students will meet, share experiences, and compete with other students from various parts of New Jersey.
This is for the NJ Olympics South Jersey.
Date: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:00 am - ~1:30 pm
Registration/refreshments 8:00-9:00 am
Competition 9:00- ~ 1:00/1:30
Location: Washington Township HS, Sewell, NJ (Gloucester County)
Refreshments will be provided upon arrival (bagels, coffee, etc).
Students should bring their own lunches.
A team = 1-6 students; schools may bring >1 team.
This year's events are:
1. FERMI QUESTIONS: To estimate the order of magnitude of a quantity that is difficult or impossible to measure.
2. GRAB BAG: On the day of the Olympics, the team will be given supplies to build a device that solves a challenge.
3. NEWSPAPER BRIDGE: To design and build a bridge that will support the greatest weight per gram of material used to construct it.
4. THE PAPER BOOMERANG: To design and build a paper boomerang that returns the greatest distance.
5. HOOKED CARTESIAN DIVER : To design and build hooked cartesian divers that will retrieve different types of hooked sinkers in the least amount of time.
6. PRINGLES EVENT*: To design the smallest container that will enable two Pringles chips to be sent through the U.S. Mail without damage.
*Note: The deadline for the Pringles Event will be extended for South Jersey teams only. Please do not mail in the Pringles event item until a decision is made about whether we have enough teams to run the competition. The decision will be made in before/around Dec 16.
Detailed rules can be found on the website under the "Events / Physics Olympics 2020" section. To post questions, go to the "Forum" section of the website. You can subscribe to the Physics Olympics topic, to receive updates.
Media Release Form: Print, sign, and bring to competition. NJAAPT photographs the events and winners (no names or identification w/photos). To be in winning team photos, students must submit a signed form.
The cost is $30 per team for Early Bird registration (Dec 16 deadline).
After 12/16, the cost is $40/team. Final registration deadline: Jan 8, 2020.
Each team that you bring must be registered as a Guest -- do not forget to register your teams!! (2 teams = 2 guests; a team = 1-6 students).
Payment in advance required.
If using school invoice, please pay in advance, and a refund will be sent to you when your school check has been received.