We look forward to your school's participation at this event. The competition is a lot of fun and your students will meet, share experiences, and compete with other students from other high schools in New Jersey.
This is for the NJ Olympics North/Central Jersey at Bayonne High School (Hudson County)
Light morning refreshments will be provided.
This year's events are:
- FERMI QUESTIONS: To estimate the order of magnitude of a quantity that is difficult or impossible to measure.
- GRAB BAG EVENT: Will be announced the day of the event!
- AIR-POWERED RACER: To design and construct an air-powered vehicle that will race through a fixed linear distance in the shortest period of time.
- INERTIA BALL: To push a bowling ball around a course as quickly as possible by touching it only with a broom.
- MARBLE COASTER: To construct a track along which a marble will be in motion for the longest period of time.
- PAPER HELICOPTER: To build a slow descent paper helicopter to fall a distance between 3 and 4 meters in the longest time interval.
Detailed rules for each event can be found on the website under the "Events / Physics Olympics 2024" section. Link here.
To ask questions about the rules, go to the "Forum" section of the website (Top menu/Forum). Link here.
- To receive replies via email from the forum, you must “subscribe” to the forum.
- It is the team’s responsibility to periodically check in or inquire about changes and clarifications to the rules.
- Note – the deadline for submitting questions about individual events is mid-November (11/19). After that date, questions cannot be addressed due to committee meeting dates/holidays.
Please print Media Release forms for students/parents to sign and bring signed forms to the competition. Winning teams are photographed. Students with release forms will be included in the photographs of winning teams. Forms can be printed out from rules page.
Signing up is free for NJAAPT members. (Go to njaapt.org to join or renew membership)
Each school can bring up to 4 teams. A team can consist of up to 6 students. Students will not be permitted to switch teams. Teachers will be required to submit a list of student names for each team they are bringing during registration.
Each team that you bring must be registered as a Guest--do not forget to register your teams !! (2 teams = 2 guests; a team = 1-6 students).
Early Registration: $30 per team (on or before December 3).
Regular Registration: $40 per team (after December 3)
Final registration deadline: Jan 5
All teams must be registered and paid in advance.
There will be no on-site registration.