Some questions on the Physics Olympics 2024 Events
Air Powered Racer:
Thank you for any responses.
Regarding the Air Powered Racer questions:
Following amendment has been made to rule #4 of the Air Powered Racer.
4. The vehicle must travel a minimum distance of 10.0 meters from being released. The vehicle must remain in contact with the ground during the entire 10 meters of the track. No part of the vehicle should detach from the vehicle during the run or when being released.
Regarding the Marble Coaster question:
Following amendment has been made to rule #3 of the Marble Coaster event.
3. All glue must be dry at the time of competition. Wet glue on the track or on other parts of the coaster will result in disqualification. All parts of the track must be viewable for inspection by the judges.
So, a tunnel would NOT be allowed as part of the marble's track.
Additionally, both corrugated and non-corrugated cardboards will be fine as they're both made of paper.
Hope this helps clarify the rules. Let us know if there are any more questions. We look forward to seeing everyone at the event!
To clarify further, fiberboards made of engineered wood products are not permitted. Corrugated fiberboard made of paper is permitted.
Please clarify what we are allowed to purchase or use for propellers for the Air Powered car.
Store bought propellers are fine to be used as part of the vehicle. Entire vehicles SHALL not be built using a kit.
2) Are "glue dots" or "glue tape" allowed for the marble roller coaster? You can search amazon for a variety of options.
1) Yes, students can 3D print individual parts, but the entire vehicle shall not be 3D printed as that's equivalent to using a kit to build the entire vehicle. Please see rules regarding 3D printing in "General Rules and Scoring, Rule #7" in "Physics Olympics 2024 Announcement".
2) No, double sided glue dots are NOT permitted. Rules ask that all glue must be dry. See Marble Coaster rule #3:
"3. All glue must be dry at the time of competition. Wet glue on the track or on other parts of the coaster will result in disqualification."
It's great to see your questions! However, there is a mid-November deadline for asking questions in the forum, as stated in the 2024 Announcement just above general rules. After that deadline it may be hard for the committee members to respond in a timely manner.